Alpha/Omega: Revelation 12 Family Devotional
May 09, 2021
| By Marsella Evans
My favorite picture of a dragon has always been Mushu from Mulan, who insists that he is a dragon and not a lizard despite his small size and unintimidating personality. This little red guy was always one of my family’s favorite parts of the movie because of his unhelpful suggestions despite his best efforts. He did his best, but some of his attempts to help Mulan were getting in her way.
The dragon who shows up in Revelation is not like Mushu in many ways. His desire is to harm people rather than to help them, but he has no more power over our stories than Musha had over Mulan’s story.
Revelation 12 introduces us to the relevant people in the end of times events, and Satan is the dragon pictured who tries to bring about chaos.
- Satan and his followers will try to attack Israel and Christians.
- The many angels in heaven will fight against Satan and the demons to bring God victory.
- At just the right time, God will end Satan’s fight and throw the evil forces out of heaven, and He will always protect His people.
Read Revelation 12:1-17. With younger children, read Revelation 12:9-10
ASK What is the dragon trying to do? What does the authority of the Messiah mean for Christians?
Listen to the song “How Great is Our God” by Chris Tomlin
ASK How does it change our view of the dragon to know the greatness of God? What does the darkness do when in the presence of the beauty of God? How does it change how we live to know that time is in God’s hands?
Questions for Younger Kids
- How is the dragon in Revelation similar or different from Mushu?
- What is it that stops Satan from harming Israel and Christians?
- Where does Satan go when he is hurled down?
Questions for Older Kids
- How does the woman represent Israel?
- What keeps the Christians in the passage steadfast in the Lord?
- How can we be steadfast against the accusations of the devil?
Discussion Questions for Going Deeper
- Is the story of this chapter comfortable or easy for the Christians?
- How does this contrast the idea that Jesus came to make our live more comfortable or peaceful?
- What does God give us that is better than ease or comfort?
Dear God, we praise you for your power over Satan now and forever. Help us not to listen to his lies and the trust your plan for our lives. Make us steadfast in our testimonies and show us the messages of the devil for what they are. Allow us to trust in you and only you. Amen.