Alpha/Omega: Revelation 13 Family Devotional
May 16, 2021
| By Marsella Evans
When I think of the beast, I always immediately think of the Disney movie with a talking candle and Beauty dancing in a yellow dress. The reason he is called the Beast is that he looks scary with his animal head and body, but the point of the movie is that his is good and strong on the inside. We use the term for good athletes and large animals in our culture, but today’s passage talks of a beast that fits into none of these categories.
The beast in this passage is a term for a man who is filled will the evil spirit of Satan, called the Antichrist. He is called a beast because his desire is to harm and destroy the good and beautiful things of the world.
When the Antichrist comes, we can recognize him by his ability to control all of the major nations of the world and his formation of a universal economy.
- The world will all follow and submit to the Antichrist.
- Christians will be enduring suffering because of the evil forces in the government.
- Those who believe in Christ will have wisdom and persevere to the end.
Read Revelation 13:1-13. With younger kids, read Revelation 13:7-8.
ASK What will the beast or the Antichrist have control over? What won’t the Antichrist have control over?
Listen to the song “Glorious Day” by Passion
ASK How do we know that the beast or the devil will not be able to deceive us? How does the gospel rescue us? What does it mean to be a citizen of heaven?
Questions for Younger Kids
- Did any part of this passage or discussion seem strange or scary?
- What is a false prophet?
- Why can we be unafraid of the events in these passages?
Questions for Older Kids
- How can we practice patient endurance in our lives today?
- What do you wish we knew more about that is included in this passage?
- What will differentiate the Christians from the followers of the beast?
Discussion Questions for Going Deeper
- What is the role of the Christian in standing up to wrong governmental leaders?
- How does a Christian live faithfully in an unfaithful nation?
- Who is to be blamed for the destruction of the world outside of the Christians?
Dear God, we praise you for your power over the beast and for freeing us from bondage to him. Allow us to see evil in our world with open eyes. Please raise up your people and give us perseverance. Give us the opportunity to tell others about you this week. Amen.