Three Things the Enemy Does Not Want You to Know Family Devotional
May 02, 2021
| By Marsella Evans
I do not like roller coasters at all. So, when my friends and I go to an amusement park, I stand in line with them to get up to the rides, and then I leave at the last possible second. A few times I have gotten nervous because it doesn’t look like there will be a way to leave without getting on the ride, but every time there is another way.
Sometimes in life, it looks like there is no way to get out of a situation without sinning, but in the last second there is always another way
God will always provide a way out of temptation.
- The things that are hardest for us can be overcome in the Lord.
- God has given us everything we need to live free in Him.
- Avoiding temptation is an act of worship.
Read 1 Corinthians 10:12-13, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5, Romans 6:12-14. With younger kids, read Romans 6:12-14.
ASK What does temptation feel like? What causes us to believe that there is no way around sin?
Build a Lego tower together and then take it all apart, with no two bricks left on top of each other.
SAY Sometimes we allow towers of lies to be built in our hearts and minds, but God can take them all apart, so we are walking in truth again.
DISCUSS How do we take apart our towers of lies and give them to God?
ASK Does God know about the towers of lies in our hearts before we tell Him?
Listen to the song “East to West” by Casting Crowns
ASK What does it mean that our sins are as far from us as the East is from the West? What is supposed to be different about us because of Jesus?
Questions for Younger Kids
- Does it ever seem impossible not to sin?
- What does worship mean to you?
- Is there any particular sin that is harder to stop than others?
Questions for Older Kids
- What is a stronghold in your own life?
- How is sin worshipping something other than God?
- How do we stop old stronghold from coming back into our lives?
Discussion Questions for Going Deeper
- What does the world say about our ability to stop sin?
- How does the world make sin a part of our identity?
- What is our real identity based in?
Dear God, reveal to us the strongholds in our lives. We confess that we are sinners and give up the lies in our hearts to you. Teach us to live based on your truth. Thank you for freeing us from our sin. Amen.