Alpha/Omega: Genesis 1:27-2:25 Family Devotional
Sep 25, 2020
When my kids were smaller, one of our favorite shows to watch together was “How It’s Made” on the Learning Channel. From bowling balls, to Oreo cookies, to watches, we loved watching how all of the parts and pieces came together to form something we saw or used almost every day.
As cool as it is to watch an Oreo cookie created by a big robot, our bodies are infinitely more complicated and wonderfully made. The Bible tells us how we were made: we are formed by a wonderful, all-powerful creator who loves us.
What is amazing is that the Bible says we were made in God’s image (Genesis 1:26). Man is not God, but we were created to glorify Him by looking and acting like Him in our thoughts, words and actions. Genesis tells us what it means to be made in God’s image:
- We are created to be in a relationship with God (John 17:21). This means that God, who made the biggest mountains and the deepest oceans, wants to know Him, to talk with Him and to love Him.
- We are created to take care of what God made (Genesis 1:28).
- We are created so that we know the difference between right and wrong. We look the most like God when we follow His standards of right and wrong.
Read Genesis 1:27 and Genesis 2:4-25. With younger children, read Genesis 1:27 and Genesis 2:7.
ASK What does it mean to be created in God’s image? What makes us different from the other animals and fish God created?
Supplies Needed: Paper, Elmer’s liquid glue and dirt or sand.
HAVE your children draw a man and a woman using the glue. Let your children be creative and draw a family.
TAKE the sand and have your child sprinkle sand over the glue drawing. Shake the excess sand off of the paper.
SAY you made an awesome picture of a man and a woman using dirt and glue. Now think about your body. You have a heart that pumps blood to move oxygen through your body, you have a liver to filter out the bad stuff that you eat, lungs to take in oxygen, eyes so you can see, ears so you can hear, and a tongue so you can taste.
DISCUSS how we are able to make a picture with sand, but God made a person out of dust.
ASK We can make a picture out of dirt, but God made us out of dust. What does that tell you about God’s magnificent power?
Listen to the song “Every Beat” by NorthPoint InsideOut: YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music
ASK What does it mean that every heart beat is because of God? What happens if our heart stops beating? Who should we thank for our lives?
Questions for Younger Kids
- What did God use to create man?
- What makes us different than the animals and fish God created?
- Why did God create us?
Questions for Older Kids
- Was it only man that God created in His image?
- What did God think about man and woman after He created them?
- You were created in God’s image. How can you take that awesome knowledge and live in a way that makes you look more like Him?
Discussion Questions for Going Deeper
- God created marriage. How long does God want a husband and wife to be together?
- What is Biblical marriage?
- Knowing that God creates us and knits us together in our mothers’ womb (Psalm 139:13-14) do you think God ever makes mistakes with the way He made us?
God, thank you for making us. Thank you for telling us how we were made in your Word. God thank you for loving us so much that you made us in Your image. Please help us to live our lives in such a way that we bring Glory to you. Help us to look more and more like Your son Jesus every day. Amen.