Alpha/Omega: Revelation 7 Family Devotional
Mar 23, 2021
| By Marsella Evans
When I was in elementary school, hide and seek was one of my favorite games. I felt excited by the moment of opening my eyes after counting to everyone being gone. I had to find them now because they disappeared, and it was a fun adventure to figure out where they went.
I always pictured the rapture like that when people talked about it. The believers in God would suddenly be gone, and the non-believers would try to figure out where they went.
This concept is not exactly what the Bible teaches, and Revelation 7 can help us have a more consistent understanding of Jesus coming back. People who believe in this type of rapture are going to heaven, but the Bible and the nature of God indicate that the rapture will not come until after the other events that have yet to happen.
- Christians will experience the suffering of the whole world in the “tribulation” right before Jesus comes back.
- The events of this passage are best interpreted literally.
- Christians will be brought to heaven before God’s anger is brought on the non-believers.
Read Revelation 7. With younger children, Revelation 7:13-15
What is confusing about this passage? Will Jesus raise us up and reward us for our faithfulness?
DISCUSS Should this chapter of Revelation change anything about the way that Christians live? Does an earlier perspective of the believers being taken to heaven affect our relationship with Christ?
ASK Is our sadness and fear in God’s plan? Does He love us even when things are hard?
Listen to the song “Glorious Unfolding” by Stephen Curtis Chapman
ASK How is Jesus coming back going to be glorious? Should we be afraid of the future?
Questions for Older Kids
- Does Jesus fulfill His promises?
- Who will be with us when we go up to heaven?
- Is Jesus like a warrior? Does He fight for us?
Questions for Older Kids
- How should we prepare for Jesus to get here?
- How should we handle it when we disagree with others about the Bible?
- Does Jesus want us to know what will happen?
Discussion Questions for Going Deeper
- How does this chapter contrast the idea of love in our culture?
- Is allowing someone to do what they want true love?
- Should believers allow beliefs on this passage to separate them?
Dear God, please help us to treat the Bible with respect and always go to it for answers. Help us to understand this chapter and its impact on us. Thank you for saving us and always keeping your promises. Forgive us for our sins and help us to trust you. Amen.